📱 حمّل تطبيق خبر الآن!
🕐 --:--
-- --
تابعونا
عاجل
⚡ عاجل: كريستيانو رونالدو يُتوّج كأفضل لاعب كرة قدم في العالم ⚡ أخبار عاجلة تتابعونها لحظة بلحظة على خبر ⚡ تابعوا آخر المستجدات والأحداث من حول العالم
⌘K
AI مباشر | -- مشاهد مباشر
1,191,991 مقال 410 مصدر نشط 228 قناة مباشرة 8,974 خبر اليوم
آخر تحديث: منذ ثانيتين

Released sexual offenders to be kept in restriction zones monitored by GPS tags

العالم
Metro UK
2026/08/23 - 15:11 503 مشاهدة
تحليل ذكي | AI Editorial Analysis

Prisoners will be recalled if they breach the restriction zone (Picture: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images) Sex and violent offenders will be confined to restriction zones of a few miles and tagged with a GP...

Victims will have a say in setting the boundaries to limit the chances of unexpectedly encountering their perpetrators.

Offenders will be restricted for as long as their probation officers see fit and those who breach the conditions could be recalled to prison.

هذا الخبر من Metro UK. خبر يقدم أدوات ذكاء اصطناعي للتلخيص والترجمة والاستماع.

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 05: A general view of HMP Wandsworth on August 05, 2026 in London, England.The government has revised its emergency prison early release scheme, delaying roll-out to October 2026. Under the new guidelines individuals serving sentences for rape, grooming, and serious child sexual offences are explicitly barred while certain prisoners can be freed on licence after serving one-third of their total custodial sentence. The scheme is to to prevent a total capacity collapse of the UK justice system. (Photo by Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)
Prisoners will be recalled if they breach the restriction zone (Picture: Dan Kitwood/Getty Images)

Sex and violent offenders will be confined to restriction zones of a few miles and tagged with a GPS in a bid to stop them from reoffending.

Victims will have a say in setting the boundaries to limit the chances of unexpectedly encountering their perpetrators.

Offenders will be restricted for as long as their probation officers see fit and those who breach the conditions could be recalled to prison.

The new government plans will go beyond the current practice of imposing ‘exclusion zones’, which stopped criminals going to specific locations such a victim’s workplace or home.

The restriction zones will be enforced by GPS-based electronic tags that can track the movements of offenders in real time, 24/7.

well-dressed woman sitting on the edge of a hotel bed looking at the window curtains, rear view
Ministers hope the moves will help victims travel around without unexpectedly seeing their perpetrator (Picture: Getty Images)

Make sense of the mad world of British politics

Get analysis of the latest stories direct to your inbox from Metro’s Senior Politics Reporter Craig Munro. Sign up here.

Justice Secretary Alex Norris said: ‘No victim should fear the shadow of an abuser on their back.

‘That’s why we’re putting limits on dangerous offenders, confining them to tightly controlled areas and giving victims greater freedom to get on with their lives.

‘And with GPS technology helping probation keep track of offenders’ movements, those who step outside the boundaries can be quickly identified and face being sent back to prison.

‘It is simple: offenders should carry the consequences of their crimes, not their victims.’

Norris has previously announced that all rapists and child sex offenders will be tagged for at least a year after being released from serving their full jail sentences.

Under the plans, offenders will receive push notifications when they approach the boundary of an exclusion zone, warning them to turn back.

The Ministry of Justice has also said it will introduce random drug testing for 1,000 offenders every month.

People convicted of rape or serious child sex offences will also face closer contact with probation and mandatory referrals to the most secure accommodation.

LONDON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 04: UK Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor, Alex Norris, speaks to media on August 04, 2026 in London, England. Alex Norris, UK Secretary of State for Justice and Lord Chancellor, has said 5,000 prisoners would be released early from October, down from the original figure of 6,000, following an intervention by Prime Minister Andy Burnham to exclude those convicted of rape, serious child sexual offences and grooming from the scheme. (Photo by Leon Neal/Getty Images)
Alex Norris is facing an overcrowding crisis in prisons (Picture: Leon Neal/Getty Images)

The restriction scheme comes as the government is reconsidering plans to release prisoners early amid an overcrowding crisis.

Andy Burnham has already blocked the early release of rapists and child groomers.

Ministers are also reviewing how to stop the early release of Pc Andrew Harper’s two killers.

The early release scheme has faced warnings that it could overwhelm the probation system.

Martin Jones, the chief inspector of probation, has previously said he is ‘anxious’ about freeing so many inmates early when the probation service is already ‘under huge pressure’ because of staff shortages.

The Ministry of Justice said it was pumping £700 million into probation and community services, and recruiting an extra 1,300 new probation officers this year.

Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.

For more stories like this, check our news page.

المصدر: Metro UK | Source: Metro UK

ملاحظة تحريرية | Editorial Note: نُشر هذا المقال في الأصل بواسطة Metro UK. خبر (Khabr) هي منصة إعلامية أردنية مرخّصة تعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نضيف قيمة تحريرية من خلال: تحليل ذكي للأخبار، ملخصات تلقائية، رواية صوتية بالذكاء الاصطناعي، ترجمة متعددة اللغات، وتدقيق الحقائق. هدفنا جعل الأخبار أكثر وضوحاً وسهولةً للقارئ العربي.

This article was originally published by Metro UK. Khabr is a licensed Jordanian AI-powered news platform (Registration #82086). We add editorial value through: AI-powered news analysis, automated summaries, AI audio narration, multi-language translation (Arabic, English, French, Turkish), and AI fact-checking. Our mission is to make news more accessible and understandable for Arabic-speaking audiences worldwide.

مشاركة:

المزيد عن العالم | More on World

هذا الخبر ضمن تغطية خبر لقسم العالم. نقدّم لك تحليلات ذكية وملخصات يومية لأهم الأخبار من مصادر موثوقة متعددة. المصدر: Metro UK. يوجد 6 مقالات مرتبطة بهذا الموضوع.

This article is part of Khabr's coverage of World. We provide AI-powered analysis, summaries, and multi-source aggregation to keep you informed. Source: Metro UK.

مقالات ذات صلة

خبر — منصة إخبارية ذكية | Khabr — AI-Powered News Platform

خبر هو أول مجمّع أخبار عربي يعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نقدم تحليلات ذكية وملخصات تلقائية ورواية صوتية لكل خبر من أكثر من 700 مصدر موثوق. نضيف قيمة تحريرية فريدة من خلال أدوات الذكاء الاصطناعي التي تساعدك على فهم الأخبار بعمق أكبر.

Khabr is the first AI-powered Arabic news aggregator. We provide AI-generated editorial analysis, automated summaries, audio narration, and fact-checking for every article from 700+ trusted sources. Our platform adds unique editorial value through AI tools that help you understand the news more deeply.

AI
يا هلا! اسألني أي شي 🎤
🔍
FREE Free 1GB Internet + Free International Calls

$1 trial — eSIM in 190+ countries — No roaming charges

Download Free