By JAMES GORDON, US NEWS REPORTER Published: 02:16, 18 August 2026 | Updated: 02:16, 18 August 2026 The devastated family of a 16-year-old high school soccer star killed in a school bus crash have blasted the meager punishment available for the distracted driver who caused her death. John Anthony Gaeta Jr., 39, was sentenced to just three years behind bars on Monday for the September 2025 crash that killed C. Milton Wright High School student Blake Elliott and left her 17-year-old boyfriend, Zach Griffin, seriously injured. The judge handed Gaeta the maximum prison sentence allowed by law. But even the toughest punishment available offered little comfort to Blake's shattered family, who told the court that while Gaeta will eventually walk free, they have effectively been condemned to a lifetime of grief. Blake's mother, Belinda Elliott, delivered a searing victim impact statement as she questioned how her family could possibly move forward without her daughter. 'We're forced to walk with grief and trauma,' she told the court. And in a devastating message directed at the man responsible for the crash, she added: 'I hope this haunts him for the rest of his days.' The teenager had been a standout soccer player. Her death stunned the school community and left her loved ones confronting the sudden absence of a teenager her sister described as both her 'best friend' and 'the most important person.' Blake Elliott, 16, was killed in the September 2025 crash on Route 543 in Harford County, Maryland John Anthony Gaeta Jr., 39, was sentenced to three years in prison, the maximum time allowed Blake's father, Rob, told the court that his family had been handed its own 'life sentence' of grief and that his entire world had changed for the worse. Her sister, Brooke, described Blake simply as 'perfect.' 'She was my best friend and now my best friend is gone…The most important person is missing,' she said. The emotional testimony came nearly a year after a few seconds on a Maryland roadway ripped the Elliott family apart. Gaeta was convicted in June of criminally negligent manslaughter over the September 18, 2025 collision on Route 543 in Harford County. Prosecutors said Gaeta rear-ended the vehicle being driven by Griffin, shoving the teenagers' car into the path of an oncoming school bus. Blake became trapped inside the wreckage. She was rushed by ambulance to University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health, where she was pronounced dead. Blake’s 17-year-old boyfriend, Zach Griffin, survived the crash but spent nearly two weeks being treated at Shock Trauma Blake's friends remembered her as strong, funny and outgoing, while one said she always 'had a smile on her face' Griffin survived but suffered serious injuries and spent nearly two weeks being treated at Shock Trauma. Investigators later uncovered a damning picture of what was happening in the moments before the collision. Prosecutors said data from Gaeta's vehicle showed he failed to apply his brakes or steer out of the way during the five seconds immediately preceding impact. Instead, he traveled a staggering 371 feet during that five-second window while slowing only slightly - from 53mph to 47mph - before plowing into Griffin's vehicle. Prosecutors also said cell phone records established that Gaeta had been using his phone during the drive. According to the Harford County State's Attorney's Office, the final app on Gaeta's phone closed just 38 seconds before the collision. His phone was nevertheless unlocked and its screen was illuminated when the crash occurred, prosecutors said. Gaeta was ultimately found guilty of criminally negligent manslaughter. On Monday, Judge Alex Allman imposed the maximum sentence permitted under the law: three years in prison, with one day suspended. Blake’s sister Brooke, seen left, told the sentencing hearing that Blake, right, was ‘perfect’ and her best friend, adding: ‘The most important person is missing’. Brother, Brayden, seen center Blake was survived by her parents, Belinda and Robert Elliott, her sister Brooke and her brother Brayden. Blake, center, is seen alongside her parents, sister and brother Gaeta was then led from the courtroom in handcuffs. He was also ordered to pay almost $37,000 in restitution to the Elliott family. But Harford County State's Attorney Alison Healey made clear that while prosecutors had secured the harshest sentence legally available, she believed the law itself had failed to provide punishment proportionate to the devastation inflicted on Blake's family. 'This maximum sentence is a swift and certain message to those driving on the roads of Harford County to get off your cell phones and avoid other distractions while you are driving,' Healey said. But she added that 'the allowable consequences in this case are simply not enough.' Judge Allman also spoke about the lasting impact of the case before announcing Gaeta's punishment, saying the community needed to understand that such behavior behind the wheel could not be tolerated. 'I don't think I'll ever forget this case,' Allman said. The courtroom heard a succession of wrenching statements detailing how Blake's death has reverberated through her family. Impact statements were delivered by her mother, father, sister and two aunts. Griffin was also present in court on Monday and privately submitted a letter to the judge. Pictured, the scene of the crash where Gaeta struck Griffin's car, shoving it into the path of a school bus Prosecutors said Gaeta traveled 371 feet in the five seconds before impact, slowing from 53mph to just 47mph without braking or steering to avoid the collision Prosecutors said Gaeta’s phone was unlocked with its screen illuminated at the time of the crash, while the last app had closed 38 seconds before impact His mother also supplied her own letter, which was read aloud by a prosecutor. Despite the ordeal and the injuries he suffered in the crash, Griffin is now attempting to move forward with his life. Prosecutors told the court that the teenager is set to begin studying at the University of Delaware this fall and was due to move onto campus this weekend. Gaeta also addressed the court before he was sentenced. He said he was 'completely heartbroken' over the crash he caused and told the families that he continues to torment himself over what happened. 'I know nothing I can say can give you comfort,' Gaeta said. 'I have caused unimaginable devastation.' He apologized directly to Blake, Griffin and both of their families. Gaeta's girlfriend also spoke on his behalf, telling the court: 'He is more than the worst moment of his life.' The case has now prompted a push to change Maryland law so that future cases involving deadly or catastrophic distracted driving can carry tougher consequences.
المصدر: Daily Mail
| Source: Daily Mail
ملاحظة تحريرية | Editorial Note:
نُشر هذا المقال في الأصل بواسطة Daily Mail.
خبر (Khabr) هي منصة إعلامية أردنية مرخّصة تعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي.
نضيف قيمة تحريرية من خلال: تحليل ذكي للأخبار، ملخصات تلقائية، رواية صوتية بالذكاء الاصطناعي، ترجمة متعددة اللغات، وتدقيق الحقائق.
هدفنا جعل الأخبار أكثر وضوحاً وسهولةً للقارئ العربي.
This article was originally published by Daily Mail.
Khabr is a licensed Jordanian AI-powered news platform (Registration #82086).
We add editorial value through: AI-powered news analysis, automated summaries, AI audio narration, multi-language translation (Arabic, English, French, Turkish), and AI fact-checking.
Our mission is to make news more accessible and understandable for Arabic-speaking audiences worldwide.