📱 حمّل تطبيق خبر الآن!
🕐 --:--
-- --
تابعونا
عاجل
⚡ عاجل: كريستيانو رونالدو يُتوّج كأفضل لاعب كرة قدم في العالم ⚡ أخبار عاجلة تتابعونها لحظة بلحظة على خبر ⚡ تابعوا آخر المستجدات والأحداث من حول العالم
⌘K
AI مباشر | -- مشاهد مباشر
1,141,959 مقال 410 مصدر نشط 228 قناة مباشرة 8,164 خبر اليوم
آخر تحديث: منذ 0 ثانية
عاجل

Greek party island popular with Britons plagued by eight rapes in 20 days with hospital at 'breaking point'

العالم
GB News
2026/08/18 - 21:55 502 مشاهدة
تحليل ذكي | AI Editorial Analysis

Eight rapes of female tourists have been reported on the Greek island of Zante in just 20 days, causing strain on local healthcare services.

The attacks primarily occurred in the Laganas area, popular with tourists, but no charges have been filed as victims have not named their attackers.

Greece has seen a significant rise in sexual violence, with recorded offenses increasing from 511 in 2010 to 1,250 in 2024.


A Greek island popular with Britons has been plagued by eight rapes in 20 days as the island hospital is at “breaking point.”

Zante has been popular with Britons for decades; its vibrant nightlife and pristine beaches have drawn tourists from all over the world.


However, Michalis Giannakos, president of public healthcare workers’ union POEDIN, said eight female tourists have sought medical attention after reporting that they had been raped.

He said: “It is abhorrent and humiliating what is happening to the women, with individuals taking advantage of the state of intoxication in which they may be.”



The attacks are reportedly occurring in the area of Laganas, which is popular with tourists.

Police were deployed and forensic examinations were carried out by the hospital’s gynaecologists.

No prosecutions have been brought forward as the women have reportedly not chosen to press charges or name the alleged perpetrators of the attack, according to local media.

A statement from local police read: “During the period from May to August 6, three incidents have been reported to our competent service, for which all procedures provided for by law were immediately followed, in cooperation with the prosecutor’s office, forensic and health authorities, and two arrests have been made.”


Zante



Mr Giannakos continued to speak on an Italian tourist, who a few days ago required specialist treatment to aid her injuries, which she said were caused by rape.

Greece has seen a marked increase in the amount of sexual violence in the last 14 years, with police recording 1,250 offences in 2024, compared to just 511 in 2010, according to Eurostat data.

The shocking revelation comes as two teenage Britons were allegedly raped by the same man on the island.

The women told police they met the man whilst on holiday.

LATEST DEVELOPMENTS



Zante



Upon hearing the news, one of the teens’ mothers drove from the UK to Greece to be with them.

She tracked down the suspect to his place of work and attacked him, according to local media.

Both the mother and suspect were taken to the police station, with the alleged perpetrator being arrested.

Cases surrounding young Britons abroad continue to raise concern as two teen sisters were allegedly raped by two tourist brothers on the island of Rhodes.



The two girls, aged between 17 and 19, told Greek police they met the brothers on a night out.

The sisters struck up a conversation with the alleged attackers at a club in the island’s Old Town.

The four then went back to a nearby hotel, where allegedly the women separated into different rooms with the men.

The alleged incidents happened shortly after.


Our Standards: The GB News Editorial Charter


المصدر: GB News | Source: GB News
💡 لماذا يهمك هذا | Why This Matters

Eight rapes of female tourists have been reported on the Greek island of Zante in just 20 days, causing strain on local healthcare services.

The attacks primarily occurred in the Laganas area, popular with tourists, but no charges have been filed as victims have not named their attackers.

ملاحظة تحريرية | Editorial Note: نُشر هذا المقال في الأصل بواسطة GB News. خبر (Khabr) هي منصة إعلامية أردنية مرخّصة تعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نضيف قيمة تحريرية من خلال: تحليل ذكي للأخبار، ملخصات تلقائية، رواية صوتية بالذكاء الاصطناعي، ترجمة متعددة اللغات، وتدقيق الحقائق. هدفنا جعل الأخبار أكثر وضوحاً وسهولةً للقارئ العربي.

This article was originally published by GB News. Khabr is a licensed Jordanian AI-powered news platform (Registration #82086). We add editorial value through: AI-powered news analysis, automated summaries, AI audio narration, multi-language translation (Arabic, English, French, Turkish), and AI fact-checking. Our mission is to make news more accessible and understandable for Arabic-speaking audiences worldwide.

مشاركة:

المزيد عن العالم | More on World

هذا الخبر ضمن تغطية خبر لقسم العالم. نقدّم لك تحليلات ذكية وملخصات يومية لأهم الأخبار من مصادر موثوقة متعددة. المصدر: GB News. يوجد 6 مقالات مرتبطة بهذا الموضوع.

This article is part of Khabr's coverage of World. We provide AI-powered analysis, summaries, and multi-source aggregation to keep you informed. Source: GB News.

مقالات ذات صلة

خبر — منصة إخبارية ذكية | Khabr — AI-Powered News Platform

خبر هو أول مجمّع أخبار عربي يعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نقدم تحليلات ذكية وملخصات تلقائية ورواية صوتية لكل خبر من أكثر من 700 مصدر موثوق. نضيف قيمة تحريرية فريدة من خلال أدوات الذكاء الاصطناعي التي تساعدك على فهم الأخبار بعمق أكبر.

Khabr is the first AI-powered Arabic news aggregator. We provide AI-generated editorial analysis, automated summaries, audio narration, and fact-checking for every article from 700+ trusted sources. Our platform adds unique editorial value through AI tools that help you understand the news more deeply.

AI
يا هلا! اسألني أي شي 🎤
🔍
FREE Free 1GB Internet + Free International Calls

$1 trial — eSIM in 190+ countries — No roaming charges

Download Free