📱 حمّل تطبيق خبر الآن!
🕐 --:--
-- --
تابعونا
عاجل
⚡ عاجل: كريستيانو رونالدو يُتوّج كأفضل لاعب كرة قدم في العالم ⚡ أخبار عاجلة تتابعونها لحظة بلحظة على خبر ⚡ تابعوا آخر المستجدات والأحداث من حول العالم
⌘K
AI مباشر | -- مشاهد مباشر
1,163,921 مقال 410 مصدر نشط 228 قناة مباشرة 11,396 خبر اليوم
آخر تحديث: منذ ثانية

Former champion leaves WWE after 7 years in a major ‘fumble’

ترفيه
Metro UK
2026/08/20 - 17:34 502 مشاهدة
تحليل ذكي | AI Editorial Analysis

Ilja Dragunov has ditched WWE after seven years (Picture: 2024 WWE) WWE superstar Ilja Dragunov has left the company after seven years.

The so-called Mad Dragon, who was also known as Unbesiegbar and The Czar, was born in Russia and raised in Berlin, and made his name across the UK and Europe before signing with WWE in 2019.

On Thursday, he was suddenly moved to the alumni section of WWE.com along with other former members of the roster.

هذا الخبر من Metro UK. خبر يقدم أدوات ذكاء اصطناعي للتلخيص والترجمة والاستماع.

DENVER, COLORADO - SEPTEMBER 2: Ilja Dragunov celebrates during Monday Night RAW at Ball Arena on September 2, 2024 in Denver, Colorado. (Photo by WWE/Getty Images)
Ilja Dragunov has ditched WWE after seven years (Picture: 2024 WWE)

WWE superstar Ilja Dragunov has left the company after seven years.

The so-called Mad Dragon, who was also known as Unbesiegbar and The Czar, was born in Russia and raised in Berlin, and made his name across the UK and Europe before signing with WWE in 2019.

On Thursday, he was suddenly moved to the alumni section of WWE.com along with other former members of the roster.

A report has since emerged from PWInsider confirming that the 32-year-old wrestler’s contract has expired, and he’s leaving the company.

During his time with WWE, Dragunov won the United States, NXT and United Kingdom Championships.

In 2023, he won Male Superstar of the Year in the official NXT Year-End Awards, while he and Carmelo Hayes won Match of the Year for their bout at NXT No Mercy.

SAN JOSE, CALIFORNIA - OCTOBER 17: Ilja Dragunov and Sami Zayn in action during Friday Night Smackdown at the SAP Center on October 17, 2025 in San Jose, California. (Photo by Craig Melvin/WWE via Getty Images)
He was considered one of the best wrestlers in the world (Picture: Craig Melvin/WWE via Getty Images)

Despite capturing gold and delivering every time he was between the ropes, fans feel like WWE could have done more with Dragunov, who has been hailed by people as ‘genuinely one of the best wrestlers’ in the world.

‘Bro how did WWE fumble this badly. I have mad respect for Ilja, I hope he finds MAJOR success wherever he ends up. Sad that his talent was wasted,’ wrote BrBl112.

‘Imagine fumbling a talent like Ilja Dragunov,’ agreed X user @undeniableheel, while other fans said they were ‘speechless’ over his shock departure.

Others called out the fact that WWE never ran Ilja versus GUNTHER on the main roster, despite their epic battles across the independent scene and NXT UK.

@WrasslinDragons ranted: ‘It is an absolute, utter, unforgivable, inexcusable shame that we never got Gunther vs Ilja Dragunov on the main roster. What a fumble.’

Up Next

His final WWE match came as part of the Andre The Giant Memorial Battle Royal on the eve of WrestleMania 42 in April.

Late last year, Ilja had an incredible run on SmackDown, beating Sami Zayn for the United States Title on October 17 in his first match back after over a year of action due to injury.

He went onto hold the gold until losing it to Carmelo Hayes on December 19, after eight successful title defences in a series of match of the year contenders.

Ilja had previously told Metro he feels a responsibility to maintain his signature brutal in ring style.

He said: ‘There’s a certain way to my persona to carry myself, and how I compete and how I fight and how I do the things that I do, and if I can’t do them that way anymore, where is the sense, right?

‘I don’t do that for just like, I don’t know, fame or being like a celebrity or whatever, I just do that because I can fully express myself in this business. That is my reason. Number one.’

Ilja Dragunov could have been legit main eventer in WWE

Metro’s WWE expert Alistair McGeorge breaks down Ilja’s exit.

News Ilja Dragunov has left WWE comes as a shock, but there’s a lot we still don’t know.

His contract reportedly expired, but it’s not clear whether that was a decision made by him or the company, which could change things.

I’ve seen Ilja wrestle live numerous times, from the Ritz in Manchester to Wembley Stadium, and had the pleasure of interviewing him a few times.

He had all the potential and talent to be a major player in the company, and his run as United States Champion was a highlight of SmackDown in 2025.

If WWE had pulled the trigger on a main roster feud with GUNTHER, they would have had a ready made headliner for any of the various European PLEs between two stars guaranteed to get people invested.

It remains to be seen where he’ll go from here, but if Tony Khan was smart, he’d already be trying to tempt him to AEW in time for All In London at Wembley Stadium on August 31.

Let’s wait and see.

المصدر: Metro UK | Source: Metro UK

ملاحظة تحريرية | Editorial Note: نُشر هذا المقال في الأصل بواسطة Metro UK. خبر (Khabr) هي منصة إعلامية أردنية مرخّصة تعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نضيف قيمة تحريرية من خلال: تحليل ذكي للأخبار، ملخصات تلقائية، رواية صوتية بالذكاء الاصطناعي، ترجمة متعددة اللغات، وتدقيق الحقائق. هدفنا جعل الأخبار أكثر وضوحاً وسهولةً للقارئ العربي.

This article was originally published by Metro UK. Khabr is a licensed Jordanian AI-powered news platform (Registration #82086). We add editorial value through: AI-powered news analysis, automated summaries, AI audio narration, multi-language translation (Arabic, English, French, Turkish), and AI fact-checking. Our mission is to make news more accessible and understandable for Arabic-speaking audiences worldwide.

مشاركة:

المزيد عن ترفيه | More on Entertainment

هذا الخبر ضمن تغطية خبر لقسم ترفيه. نقدّم لك تحليلات ذكية وملخصات يومية لأهم الأخبار من مصادر موثوقة متعددة. المصدر: Metro UK. يوجد 6 مقالات مرتبطة بهذا الموضوع.

This article is part of Khabr's coverage of Entertainment. We provide AI-powered analysis, summaries, and multi-source aggregation to keep you informed. Source: Metro UK. Tags: WWE, retirement, champion.

مقالات ذات صلة

خبر — منصة إخبارية ذكية | Khabr — AI-Powered News Platform

خبر هو أول مجمّع أخبار عربي يعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نقدم تحليلات ذكية وملخصات تلقائية ورواية صوتية لكل خبر من أكثر من 700 مصدر موثوق. نضيف قيمة تحريرية فريدة من خلال أدوات الذكاء الاصطناعي التي تساعدك على فهم الأخبار بعمق أكبر.

Khabr is the first AI-powered Arabic news aggregator. We provide AI-generated editorial analysis, automated summaries, audio narration, and fact-checking for every article from 700+ trusted sources. Our platform adds unique editorial value through AI tools that help you understand the news more deeply.

AI
يا هلا! اسألني أي شي 🎤
🔍
FREE Free 1GB Internet + Free International Calls

$1 trial — eSIM in 190+ countries — No roaming charges

Download Free