📱 حمّل تطبيق خبر الآن!
🕐 --:--
-- --
تابعونا
عاجل
⚡ عاجل: كريستيانو رونالدو يُتوّج كأفضل لاعب كرة قدم في العالم ⚡ أخبار عاجلة تتابعونها لحظة بلحظة على خبر ⚡ تابعوا آخر المستجدات والأحداث من حول العالم
⌘K
AI مباشر | -- مشاهد مباشر
1,164,978 مقال 410 مصدر نشط 228 قناة مباشرة 11,337 خبر اليوم
آخر تحديث: منذ ثانية

‘Don’t understand’ – Paul Merson claims Man Utd have made £50m transfer mistake

رياضة
Metro UK
2026/08/20 - 19:59 501 مشاهدة
تحليل ذكي | AI Editorial Analysis

Paul Merson criticized Manchester United's £50m signing of Andrey Santos, questioning his impact on the team's midfield.

Merson expressed doubts about Santos's abilities, stating he doesn't contribute to defense, chance creation, or scoring.

United is reportedly pursuing another midfielder, Carlos Baleba, as they look to strengthen their squad before the transfer deadline.

Manchester United v Arsenal FC - Premier League
Former Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson (Picture: Getty)

Paul Merson has questioned Manchester United’s decision to sign Andrey Santos and is not sure what the Brazilian adds to Michael Carrick’s midfield.

The Red Devils made it a priority to bolster their central midfield this summer following the departure of Casemiro at the end of last season.

United had been linked with the likes of Elliot AndersonSandro Tonali and Mateus Fernandes, but saw their efforts gazumped by rivals Manchester City and Tottenham.

Instead, the club turned to other Premier League-proven talent, signing Santos from Chelsea for £50million and Tielemans from Aston Villa after activating the Belgian’s £35m release clause.

Exclusive Premier League previews

Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free.

Santos made 27 league appearances for the Blues last season before making the switch to Old Trafford this summer.

The 22-year-old impressed fans in pre-season and looks set to start United’s league opener against Hull City on Saturday.

But despite that, Merson remains unconvinced by the deal, telling Sky Sports: ‘I just don’t understand the Andrey Santos signing.

HELSINKI, FINLAND - JULY 18: Andrey Santos of Manchester United arrives prior to the pre-season friendly match between Manchester United and AFC Wrexham at Helsingin Olympiastadion on July 18, 2026 in Helsinki, Finland. (Photo by Ash Donelon/Manchester United via Getty Images)
Andrey Santos joined from Chelsea for £50million (Picture: Getty)

‘I might be wrong and Manchester United see something different. But a lot of Chelsea fans were asking what he does.

‘He doesn’t break it up, doesn’t create chances, doesn’t score goals. That’s my problem.’

Merson continued: ‘I like the Tielemans signing, he’s a good footballer. But while you have Tielemans and Fernandes as good footballers, you need more than that to get the ball back.’

BRIGHTON, ENGLAND - AUGUST 16: Carlos Baleba of Brighton & Hove Albion during the Premier League match between Brighton & Hove Albion and Fulham at Amex Stadium on August 16, 2025 in Brighton, England. (Photo by Crystal Pix/MB Media/Getty Images)
United are also looking to sign Carlos Baleba from Brighton (Picture: Getty)

Former Red Devils midfielder Paul Ince has also shared his reservations about United’s decision to sign Santos, telling Oddschecker: They’ve signed the lad Santos from Chelsea for £50m, which is a lot of money for someone like him.

‘I think the jury’s still out on that one. To spend £50m on a young central midfield player when you’ve got [Kobbie] Mainoo coming through the ranks, kind of baffled me a bit.’

United appear poised to add another midfielder before the September 1 deadline, with reports suggesting they are closing in on a deal for Brighton’s Carlos Baleba.

Speaking on Thursday about United’s interest in Baleba, Brighton CEO Paul Barber told talkSPORT: ‘It’s not something that I can talk about right now,’ the Brighton CEO told talkSPORT when asked about United’s interest in Baleba.

‘I mean this time of year as you know we’re always going to be subject to bids for our players.

‘It’s not something that I can talk about right now,’ the Brighton CEO told talkSPORT when asked about United’s interest in Baleba.

‘I mean this time of year as you know we’re always going to be subject to bids for our players.

‘So nothing to really say on Carlos at the moment other than he’s a hugely talented young midfielder who’s done really well for us and has attracted interest from some of the biggest clubs in the world now for a couple of years so let’s see where we go.’

For more stories like this, check our sport page.

Follow Metro Sport for the latest news on FacebookTwitter and Instagram.

المصدر: Metro UK | Source: Metro UK
💡 لماذا يهمك هذا | Why This Matters

Paul Merson criticized Manchester United's £50m signing of Andrey Santos, questioning his impact on the team's midfield.

Merson expressed doubts about Santos's abilities, stating he doesn't contribute to defense, chance creation, or scoring.

ملاحظة تحريرية | Editorial Note: نُشر هذا المقال في الأصل بواسطة Metro UK. خبر (Khabr) هي منصة إعلامية أردنية مرخّصة تعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نضيف قيمة تحريرية من خلال: تحليل ذكي للأخبار، ملخصات تلقائية، رواية صوتية بالذكاء الاصطناعي، ترجمة متعددة اللغات، وتدقيق الحقائق. هدفنا جعل الأخبار أكثر وضوحاً وسهولةً للقارئ العربي.

This article was originally published by Metro UK. Khabr is a licensed Jordanian AI-powered news platform (Registration #82086). We add editorial value through: AI-powered news analysis, automated summaries, AI audio narration, multi-language translation (Arabic, English, French, Turkish), and AI fact-checking. Our mission is to make news more accessible and understandable for Arabic-speaking audiences worldwide.

مشاركة:

المزيد عن رياضة | More on Sports

هذا الخبر ضمن تغطية خبر لقسم رياضة. نقدّم لك تحليلات ذكية وملخصات يومية لأهم الأخبار من مصادر موثوقة متعددة. المصدر: Metro UK. يوجد 6 مقالات مرتبطة بهذا الموضوع.

This article is part of Khabr's coverage of Sports. We provide AI-powered analysis, summaries, and multi-source aggregation to keep you informed. Source: Metro UK. Tags: football, transfer, Manchester United, Paul Merson.

مقالات ذات صلة

خبر — منصة إخبارية ذكية | Khabr — AI-Powered News Platform

خبر هو أول مجمّع أخبار عربي يعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نقدم تحليلات ذكية وملخصات تلقائية ورواية صوتية لكل خبر من أكثر من 700 مصدر موثوق. نضيف قيمة تحريرية فريدة من خلال أدوات الذكاء الاصطناعي التي تساعدك على فهم الأخبار بعمق أكبر.

Khabr is the first AI-powered Arabic news aggregator. We provide AI-generated editorial analysis, automated summaries, audio narration, and fact-checking for every article from 700+ trusted sources. Our platform adds unique editorial value through AI tools that help you understand the news more deeply.

AI
يا هلا! اسألني أي شي 🎤
🔍
FREE Free 1GB Internet + Free International Calls

$1 trial — eSIM in 190+ countries — No roaming charges

Download Free