📱 حمّل تطبيق خبر الآن!
🕐 --:--
-- --
تابعونا
عاجل
⚡ عاجل: كريستيانو رونالدو يُتوّج كأفضل لاعب كرة قدم في العالم ⚡ أخبار عاجلة تتابعونها لحظة بلحظة على خبر ⚡ تابعوا آخر المستجدات والأحداث من حول العالم
⌘K
AI مباشر | -- مشاهد مباشر
1,176,333 مقال 410 مصدر نشط 228 قناة مباشرة 9,663 خبر اليوم
آخر تحديث: منذ ثانيتين

Another Aussie territory signs up for Albanese's gun buyback scheme after Bondi Beach shooting

سياسة
Daily Mail
2026/08/22 - 00:09 507 مشاهدة
تحليل ذكي | AI Editorial Analysis

By JOANNA HYNDS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA and NICHOLAS COMINO, POLITICAL REPORTER, AUSTRALIA Published: 01:09, 22 August 2026 | Updated: 01:27, 22 August 2026 The Australian Capital Territory will join...

Similar to the agreement reached between New South Wales and the Commonwealth last week, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed a deal had been reached on Friday.

National cabinet agreed to tackle antisemitism and strengthen firearms restrictions across the nation following the deadly December 2025 shootings.

هذا الخبر من Daily Mail. خبر يقدم أدوات ذكاء اصطناعي للتلخيص والترجمة والاستماع.

By JOANNA HYNDS FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA and NICHOLAS COMINO, POLITICAL REPORTER, AUSTRALIA Published: 01:09, 22 August 2026 | Updated: 01:27, 22 August 2026 The Australian Capital Territory will join the Albanese government's gun buyback scheme as part of a push to strengthen firearms laws following the Bondi Beach shooting.  Similar to the agreement reached between New South Wales and the Commonwealth last week, ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed a deal had been reached on Friday.  National cabinet agreed to tackle antisemitism and strengthen firearms restrictions across the nation following the deadly December 2025 shootings. ACT had committed to the scheme when it was announced late last year but only confirmed the specifics of the arrangement this week.  Compensation will be paid from November 2 for firearms beyond the new legal ownership limits and for newly reclassified firearms, along with a flat fee for associated ammunition.  The scheme, which has not yet been adopted by some states or territories, will also provide financial assistance for businesses and industry to adjust to the reforms.  Under the ACT agreement, the Commonwealth will fund 75 per cent of the buyback costs, as well as all costs of firearm destruction. The ACT Government will cover the remaining costs.  There are currently about 23,000 firearms in the territory and more than 7,000 firearms licence holders. The ACT is joining a nationwide push to strengthen Australia's gun laws   The Albanese's Government is funding the majority of the gun buyback scheme for ACT Around 14 per cent of licence holders are expected to be affected by proposed new firearm ownership limits. A fixed price schedule will apply to individual licence holders who return firearms that exceed the new legal limits, in exchange for compensation.  The Commonwealth will also provide financial assistance to businesses and industry to help them adjust to the reforms.  Eligible businesses and dealers will be offered grants of up to $25,000, as well as one-off licence fee relief worth $500 over two years per dealer. From early 2027, eligible owners of higher-value firearms will be able to claim compensation, with firearms valued above $3,000 eligible for compensation capped at $10,000 per firearm.  In a statement, Barr said the agreement with the government would strengthen community safety and support effective firearm reforms across the state. 'Reducing the number of high-risk firearms in circulation is a sensible and practical measure to help keep Canberrans safer,' he said, according to ABC News. 'The ACT has some of the strongest firearms laws in the country and this agreement supports our ongoing efforts to further reduce the risk of firearms falling into the wrong hands.' ACT Chief Minister Andrew Barr confirmed a deal had been reached on Friday On Saturday morning, Home Affairs Minister Tony Burke praised the new agreement met between the Commonwealth and the ACT government. 'We know that most firearms, the overwhelming majority of firearms, are held by good citizens who will never use them for an improper purpose,' he told reporters. 'But there were concerns from the Australian people as to how individuals such as those at Bondi that day had the number of firearms that they'd been licensed with, had been approved to get firearms at all, and similarly, the issue of the particular firearms that they held. 'We've designed the buyback to make sure that it can match the different way that different jurisdictions are dealing with this.'  Burke added that the ACT's proximity to NSW means the efficacy of the scheme will be improved as both governments have joined the deal.
المصدر: Daily Mail | Source: Daily Mail

ملاحظة تحريرية | Editorial Note: نُشر هذا المقال في الأصل بواسطة Daily Mail. خبر (Khabr) هي منصة إعلامية أردنية مرخّصة تعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نضيف قيمة تحريرية من خلال: تحليل ذكي للأخبار، ملخصات تلقائية، رواية صوتية بالذكاء الاصطناعي، ترجمة متعددة اللغات، وتدقيق الحقائق. هدفنا جعل الأخبار أكثر وضوحاً وسهولةً للقارئ العربي.

This article was originally published by Daily Mail. Khabr is a licensed Jordanian AI-powered news platform (Registration #82086). We add editorial value through: AI-powered news analysis, automated summaries, AI audio narration, multi-language translation (Arabic, English, French, Turkish), and AI fact-checking. Our mission is to make news more accessible and understandable for Arabic-speaking audiences worldwide.

مشاركة:

المزيد عن سياسة | More on Politics

هذا الخبر ضمن تغطية خبر لقسم سياسة. نقدّم لك تحليلات ذكية وملخصات يومية لأهم الأخبار من مصادر موثوقة متعددة. المصدر: Daily Mail. يوجد 6 مقالات مرتبطة بهذا الموضوع.

This article is part of Khabr's coverage of Politics. We provide AI-powered analysis, summaries, and multi-source aggregation to keep you informed. Source: Daily Mail. Tags: gun control, buyback scheme, shooting.

مقالات ذات صلة

خبر — منصة إخبارية ذكية | Khabr — AI-Powered News Platform

خبر هو أول مجمّع أخبار عربي يعمل بالذكاء الاصطناعي. نقدم تحليلات ذكية وملخصات تلقائية ورواية صوتية لكل خبر من أكثر من 700 مصدر موثوق. نضيف قيمة تحريرية فريدة من خلال أدوات الذكاء الاصطناعي التي تساعدك على فهم الأخبار بعمق أكبر.

Khabr is the first AI-powered Arabic news aggregator. We provide AI-generated editorial analysis, automated summaries, audio narration, and fact-checking for every article from 700+ trusted sources. Our platform adds unique editorial value through AI tools that help you understand the news more deeply.

AI
يا هلا! اسألني أي شي 🎤
🔍
FREE Free 1GB Internet + Free International Calls

$1 trial — eSIM in 190+ countries — No roaming charges

Download Free